5 min read – The second run on toilet paper is already underway, as Corona once again heads in the wrong direction, across the US. As the shelves empty in our local grocery stores, I wonder to myself: Is toilet paper in the top 5 of things I couldn’t live without in a prolonged crisis? Would I put a wall of toilet paper next to my canned peaches in the bunker? Probably not… That said, maybe a toilet paper alternative is worth considering. The benefits of bidet toilet seats are many.
As bidet seats have become mainstream (clever pun) the cost has come down considerably. The bidet seat also allows you to keep your existing toilet, while adding a seat that’s pleasantly functional, cleanly & a soothing alternative to TP. Bidet seats provide that next level gentle, refreshing clean when using the washroom. Why shouldn’t using the bathroom have a more Spa-like vibe?
Benefits of Bidet Toilet Seats – Selection & Install
Purchasing a fully integrated bidet toilet can run into the thousands of dollars. One of the top benefits of bidet toilet seats is that they easily adapt to your existing toilet… keeping your costs in the hundreds of dollars range, for a feature rich bidet.
When shopping for a bidet seat, you only need to determine if your toilet bowl is round or elongated. If you’re not certain, most bidet seat websites provide simple instructions to measure your current toilet, for a proper fit.
The cost of bidet seats can range from a couple hundred dollars to a couple thousand, depending on the feature set. Fortunately, many feature laden bidets are a couple hundred dollars and include manufacturer warranties.
Installation of your bidet seat falls squarely into the DIY category. Most manufacturers provide easy to follow installation videos to insure you get it right. Having done the installation, it’s pretty straight forward:
- Turn off the water line to your toilet
- Remove the old toilet seat & clean toilet
- Align & screw down the new toilet seat
- Add the diverter to the water line, then attach provided line to the toilet
- Put batteries in the bidet seat remote
- Plug the bidet seat into an outlet
The Toto installation video below is a good example of what to expect.
Do you have a nearby electrical outlet? Is it in an ideal spot?
The one caveat to this process is an electrical outlet. Before we installed the bidet seat, we had an electrical outlet installed, behind the toilet. Many manufacturers say you can use an industrial extension cord to reach an outlet. That’s not going to be very attractive. Ideally, you’re going to want an outlet on the wall near the back of the toilet. For us, this added a couple hundred bucks to the project. As I’m scared of playing with electricity, I brought in a certified electrician for the installation. It was well worth it.
Benefits of Bidet Toilet Seats – Top features
Mid-range to expensive bidet seats come with a host of desirable features that pamper your privates. The options mentioned below vary from manufacturers & the level of seat you purchase.
Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Heated Seats – nothing more pleasant than a warm toilet seat to greet your bum, on a cold morning
- Targeted front & rear streams of water for posterior wash or feminine wash provide pinpoint accuracy. User memory settings let you customize your bidet to your needs, for future use.
- On demand Warm water settings let you pick just the right temp
- Pulsating or oscillating modes add to your water delivery experience
- Simple to use remote Control (clicker) & built in controls on the side of the Bidet Seat
- Deodorizer – pulling air through carbon filters helps diminish oder
- Built in Night light – A guiding light for a potty break in the middle of the night
- Self cleaning Wands – The wands that deliver the water stream also cleanse themselves after each use. There’s also a setting that lets you manually extract the wand, so you can periodically clean it, with a gentle soap.
- Warm Air dry – After washing, the bidet seat delvers a customizable warm air dry capping off your hands free, bidet experience.
- On some higher end models the toilet lid lifts automatically; a completely touch free process!
Benefits of Bidet Toilet Seats – Models Worth Considering
- Good Value for the money
- 2 year warranty
- Control arm attached to the seat for easy access
- Family friendly design
- Bubble infusion water stream with pulsating/oscillating massage technology
- Energy saving mode to reduce electricity
- Dual nozzle design
- The Cadillac of Bidet Seats, with rich features
- Air infused water droplets for gentle but effective clean
- Hands Free auto lid lifting
- Toilet pre-misted, to avoid waste clinging to bowl
- Night lights
- Warm air dry
- Great Toto customer service
- Cost friendly, experienced Toto design
- 1 year warranty
- Premist so waste doesn’t cling to bowl
- Convenient side panel to customize your experience
- Air deodorizer
- Uniform heated seat
- Warm Air Dry
- Toto Customer Service
- High End features at a great price point
- 3 year limited warranty
- Wireless Remote Control
- LED night light
- 7 nozzle positions
- Adjustable Heated seat temps
- 3 spray widths
- Self cleaning nozzle system
- Endless warm water with 4 settings
- Warm Air dry
Even if fear of running out of toilet paper isn’t in your top list of concerns, the benefits of bidet toilet seats are worth exploring. Pampering your private parts with a feature rich toilet seat makes for a more pleasurable experience. Considering that you visit the washroom a few times a day, why not make the ritual more memorable!